This is the first episode of our third and final season of the “The Zeenea Effective Data Governance Framework”.
Divided into two episodes, this final season will focus on the implementation of metadata management with a data catalog.
For this first episode, we will give you the right questions to ask yourself in order to build a metamodel for your metadata.
Season 1: Alignment
- RUnderstand the context
- RGet the right people
- RPrepare for action
Evaluate your Data maturity
Specify your Data strategy
Build a SWOT analysis
Season 2: Adapting
- RCreate your personas
- RIdentify key roles
- RSet your objectives
Organize your Data Office
Organize your Data Community
Creating Data Awareness
Season 3: Implementing Metadata Management with a Data Catalog
- RGet to know your data
- RIterate your data catalog
The importance of metadata
6 weeks to start your data governance journey
In our previous Season, we explained gave you our tips on how to build your Data Office, organize your Data Community, and build your Data Awareness.
In this third season, you will step into the real world of implementing a Data Catalog where Seasons 1 and 2 helped you to specify your Data Journey Strategy.
In this episode, you will learn how to ask the right questions for designing your Metamodel.
The importance of metadata
Metadata management is an emerging discipline and is necessary for enterprises wishing to bolster innovation or regulatory compliance initiatives on their data assets.
Many companies are therefore trying to establish their convictions on the subject and brainstorm solutions to meet this new challenge. As a result, metadata is increasingly being managed, alongside data, in a partitioned and siloed way that does not allow the full, enterprise-wide potential of this discipline.
Before beginning your data governance implementation, you will have to cover different aspects, ask yourself the right questions and figure out how to answer them.
Our Metamodel Template is a way to identify the main aspects when it comes to data governance by asking the right questions and in each case, you decide on its relevance.
These questions can also be used as support for your data documentation model and can provide useful elements to data leaders.
- Who created this data?
- Who is responsible for this data?
- Who does this data belong to?
- Who uses this data?
- Who controls or audits this data?
- Who is accountable on the quality of this data?
- Who gives access to this data?
- What is the “business” definition for this data?
- What are the associated business rules of this data?
- What is the security/confidentiality level of this data?
- What are the acronyms or aliases associated with this data?
- What are the security/confidentiality rules associated with this data?
- What is the reliability level (quality, velocity, etc.) of this data?
- What are the authorized contexts of use (related to confidentiality for example)?
- What are the (technical) contexts of use possible (or not) for this data?
- Is this data considered a “Golden Source”?
- Where is this data located?
- Where does this data come from? (a partner, open data, internally, etc.)
- Where is this data used/shared?
- Where is this data saved?
- Why are we storing this data? (rather than treating its flow)?
- What is this data’s current purpose/usage?
- What are the possible usages for this data? (in the future)
- When was the data created?
- When was this data last updated?
- What is this data’s life cycle? (update frequency)?
- How long are we stocking this data for?
- When does this data need to be deleted?
- How is this data structured? (diagram)?
- How do your systems consume this data?
- How do you access this data?
Start defining your metamodel template!
These questions can serve as a foundation for building your data documentation model and providing data consumers with the elements that are useful to them.
Don’t miss our latest episode of the Zeenea Data Governance Framework next week:
“6 Weeks to Start Your Data Governance Journey” where we will help you start a 3-6 weeks data journey with Zeenea and then deliver the first iteration of your Data Catalog.
Copyright Zeenea 2021, all rights reserved.