Our conviction requires a company to make compromises between control and flexibility in the use of data. In short, companies must be able to adopt a data strategy both encouraging and easy- to-use, all while minimizing risks.
We are convinced that such governance is achievable if your collaborators are likewise able to answer these few questions:
- What data are present in our organization?
- Are these data sufficiently documented to be understood and mastered by the collaborators in my organization?
- Where do they come from?
- Are they secure?
- What rules or restrictions apply to my data?
- Who are the people in charge? Who are the “knowers”?
- Who uses these data? How?
- How can your collaborators access it?
These metadata (information about data) become strategic information within enterprises. They describe various technical, operational or business aspects of the data you have.
By constituting a unified metadata repository, both centralized and accessible, you are guaranteed precise data, which are consistent and understood by the entire enterprise.
The benefits of a metadata repository
We bring our experiences to enhance a well-founded governance on metadata management. We are firmly convinced that we cannot govern what we do not know! Thus, to build a metadata repository constitutes a solid working base to start a governance of your data.
It will allow, among others, to :
- Curate your asset;
- Assign roles and responsibilities on your referenced data;
- Be completed by your employees in a collaborative manner;
- Strengthen your regulatory compliance.
The concentration of efforts on metadata and the creation of such a frame of reference is one key characteristic of a data governance with an agile approach.